I used to be a student who had a tutor; and later I became a tutor myself. My underachievement in mathematics irritated me from full joy of schooling. Therefore, I went to a math tutor. She was an expert in her sphere with several years of experience. Tutoring was her additional work; her major one was at school. The world of getting into math was full of difficulties. Nevertheless, as it is said, hard work pays off. It did, I could finally make it from an underachievement to an achievement. Since then, math was one of my favorite subjects. Later, while pursuing my bachelor’s degree I used to do tutoring. Teaching English for preschool and elementary children was fun and useful way of spending holidays. Somewhere inside I understand that my former math tutor inspired me to become a tutor.
Although I no longer do tutoring, I have been thinking whether it is possible to make it as major way of making a living. There is a big stereotype that tutoring is only done by those who cannot obtain other normal job, housewives or students. Many people believe that it not a real job. In order to find an answer we need to look at both sides of tutoring job: pros and cons.
The main pros of being a tutor are the followings:
- Freedom of managing your own time. No one controls your working hours because you are a boss yourself.
- Healthier and less stressful tutor. It is an accepted fact that teaching a class of twenty or more students can be a stressful experience. When you are teaching one-on-one, all of the concentration surrounds that student.
- You see your fruits. A tutor can out all his or her energy to one student, instead of a whole class. An enormous pleasure brings seeing how your student grows and develops.
Besides these, there are some cons with tutoring as main profession:
- Seasonal feature. Time during school breaks is the most demanded for tutoring. In other words, your work depends on seasons.
- Unpaid word load. In comparison with schoolteachers, tutors have akin responsibilities such as preparing a lessons plan and materials for a lesson.
- No insurance and pension. As you work on yourself, there is no possibility for insurance and pension.
- No career development. There are no opportunities for making a tutoring a career unless you have enough money to open your own company with tutoring services.
By considering pros and cons of tutoring, as in any profession there are black and white patterns existing in tutoring. It is up to a person to decide if he or she wants pursue it as a major work.
Tezpro.kz (2014, May). Preimushestva i riski v rabote repetitora [Advantages and risks in tutoring]. Retrieved from http://tezpro.kz/article/preimuschestva-i-riski-v-rabote-repetitora-p114